Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Have you seen my dream ?

I was feeling too lazy to sleep that night,as i walked upto her i could hear the breathe of her hair, embalmed with the smell of her braids the walls seemed to have cleared the humidity in the air.It looked as if her veins carried a message that words could not, words bowed down having carried the burden of her inner world.So often was i able to read her veins that, i, quite often, thought of the place where they met.
I'm blind now, she said.I heard the sound of the moon which it makes as it passes my window, i could feel the fibre of her body watching me through her naked skin, bone to bone, with her eyes closed.The previous night while the heavens beat upon her mud roof, the hens, poor creatures they, could not warm their eggs as the dark soil of the earth had turned into a brown sticky lifeform and wet their feet, came inside and pecked her eyes.
I went inside to prepare some soup, to escape the convulsive breathe of her hair, and looked around for my dream which i didn't see.I gathered the sound of the wind, the dark wind that never blows and never sits still and asked her if she has seen my dream, the one i didn't see as i was lighting the stove to prepare soup.No.
I must ask the other villages if they saw my dream go by, i told her, while i groped the cold walls that now smelt like cold goats cheese , blind as i was to find the door.No wait, let my face be warmed by the sun.

1 comment:

Shikha said...

the dream is gone and the child is grown !